Excel Tutorial Index
Are you a student? Did you know that Amazon is offering 6 months of Amazon Prime - free two-day shipping, free movies, and other benefits - to students? Click here to learn more
This page contains a list of Excel tutorials for financial applications.
I have posted the following tutorials:
- Microsoft Excel as a Financial Calculator. It covers the basics of using the FV, PV, Rate, NPer, and PMT functions just like you would otherwise use on your financial calculator.
- How to Create a Loan Amortization Schedule. It also shows how to use conditional formatting.
- Bond Valuation. This covers the methodology of valuing bonds on, and between, coupon payment dates.
- Calculating Bond Yields. This covers the calculation of the current yield, yield to maturity, and yield to call both on and between coupon payment dates.
- Creating Time Value of Money Tables. Have you used the PVIF, FVIF, PVIFA, and FVIFA tables at the back of a finance or accounting textbook? Most classes use financial calculators these days, but I often get requests from students for tables. In this tutorial I demonstrate how to create these tables using Excel's conditional formatting, two-input data tables, data validation, and time value of money functions.
- Make-Whole Call Valuation for Corporate Bonds - Do you know how to calculate the call price for a callable bond? Most bonds these days use a type of call known as a "make-whole" call provision. This tutorial explains how to calculate the call price.
Also, I have quite a bit of Excel related material available on my academic Web site. Specifically, you might check:
- My financial modeling course Web page - Scroll to the bottom for Excel files that are available.
- My Excel Stuff Web page - This page has a bunch of spreadsheets that I have put together that I think are useful to a broader audience.
I'm building this Web site as quickly as I can, and I hope that you will find it to be a very useful resource. If you have any requests for content please feel free to send me an email.
- Update to Variance/Covariance Matrix Builder for Excel 2010 and 2013
- Variance/Covariance Matrix Add-in for Excel 2003 and Earlier
- Variance/Covariance Matrix Add-in for Excel 2007
- High Quality Screenshots for Print
- Division, the Hard Way
- Sneaking a Peek inside the Chart Advisor Add-in
- Office Labs Chart Advisor for Excel
- The UltimateSteal Is Back
- Duplicate Post Issue is Fixed
- Creating Time Value of Money Tables in Excel
- Coin Tosses and Stock Price Charts
- Modifying the Ribbon in Excel 2007
- Analyze Google AdSense Data Using Pivot Tables
- Testing a String for Proper Case
- Charting Economic Time Series with Shaded Recessions